Pair in Forest of Dean suitcase murder case to go on trial in November


A trial date has been set for two people who were charged after human remains were found stuffed in two suitcases in the Forest of Dean.

Gareeca Conita Gordon, 27, is charged with murdering a woman at her home address in Birmingham.

Mahesh Sorathiya, 38, of Wolverhampton, is accused of assisting an offender – Gordon.

Neither defendant appeared at Bristol Crown Court where a hearing of the case took place this morning.

A provisional trial date of November 10 was set by Mr Justicle Garnham.

He said an application to transfer the case to Birmingham Crown Court would be heard at a later stage.

The judge granted conditional bail to Sorathiya.

The judge said: ‘The background to this case are allegations of the most appalling type.

‘However, this applicant’s (Sorathiya) alleged involvement in these appalling alleged events relates to his transporting of the defendant Gordon to the place where she was stopped and they were arrested.

‘There is no suggestion that he was involved in the alleged offence of murder itself.’

Conditions of bail include Sorathiya living at his home address, following a curfew between 7pm and 7am, surrendering his travel documents and reporting to his local police station each day.

No application for bail was made on behalf of Gordon.

Gordon, of Salisbury Road, Birchfield, is accused of murdering a ‘person unknown’ between April 14 and May 12.

Sorathiya, of Denmore Gardens, is accused of assisting Gordon between April 25 and May 12.

James Ward appeared for the prosecution during the hearing, while Gordon was represented by Mary Cowe and Sorathiya by Eugene Hickey.

The charges relate to the discovery of human remains close to a quarry, near Coleford in the Forest of Dean, last Tuesday night.

Police were alerted after a member of the public reported a vehicle’s erratic driving.

The vehicle was located a short while later and two suitcases were discovered containing human remains.

Gloucestershire Police previously said a post-mortem examination was inconclusive and further examinations are ongoing to establish the cause of death.